NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:40 pm 

I've got the CDD version, but it doesnt boot on my PC.
The isolinux can't be booted with the old bios from that motherbaord :-(

In the past, the CD-version and the USB-version (last with a bootfloppy) of NASLITE+ worked fine (tested).

Is it possible to transform the CDD-version of NASLite-2 into the USB-Version? (i don't want th buy both of them)

(Of course, i could use a bootdisk for the CD, too. But l would like to have an additional IDE-slot free for a 4th haddisk... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:46 am 

i also would like to know if this is possible because i would like to free up the cd rom drive slot.

Post subject: I want to know also....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:59 pm 

Tony/Ralph is this possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:26 am 
Site Admin

There is a fair amount of code in the CDD that is unique. It is also explicit in using a floppy as a configuration target, so no matter what you boot from, you’ll always need a floppy for configuration. If that’s acceptable, there was a post somewhere that describes a process of booting from an HD or another device, so look through the forum for details.

Hope that helps.

Post subject: Exchange?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:52 am 

Tony,

I just purchase my CDD license this weekend. Can I just exchange it for the USB version?

I am using older hardware that I can't get to boot frm USB, but didn't realize their where floppy kickers available to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:22 am 

I have successfully converted the CD version to work on a USB card. I had to use the boot kicker disk as my system would not boot to USB. The boot disk (Floppy) that comes from Server Elements did not work. It initially booted properly and worked; but once I copied the configuration file to the floppy it would no longer boot.
A boot disk from windows XP also did not work. I Used a boot disk from windows 98 which did work even after config file copied to disk. Config file copied using NASLITE in Administrator mode. I suspect any boot disk from DOS 6 up to Windows 98 will work.
I used a copy of NASLITE USB to format the USB Memory stick and then deleted all files on it. I then copied all the files from my CD onto the USB card and made the following changes to the boot disk files to reflect the changes in file locationsl

autoexec.bat

A:\LINLD.COM image=C:\ISOLINUX\NASLITE.01 initrd=C:\ISOLINUX\NASLITE.02 cl=@A:\NASLITE.CL

" Above is one line "

config.sys

REM Load USB Drivers
device=USBASPI5.SYS /v
device=ASPIDISK.SYS

USBASPI5.SYS Downloaded from bootdisk.com There are 5 drivers in the package available and the fifth one worked for me. You could be different. I have a legacy on board USB 1.1 system The usbaspi driver from naslite did not work on my system

Since I had access to the NASLITE USB CD to format the USB card I did not have to worry about that part. I am not sure if windows or dos formats on the card will work. I suspect it must be a Linux format. Don't know where to get that but bootdisk.com is a good place to start.

I deleted the drvspace.bin file on the boot disk as the only thing the boot disk needs to do is find the USB port and transfer to that. Don't know if this is necessary but I did it anyway.

Files on boot disk when done.

aspidisk.sys
autoexec.bat
command.com
io.sys
linld.com
msdos.sys
naslite.cl
usbaspi5.sys

Files on USB when done

All files from the naslite CD in the directories as on the CD.

PS My system was already set up and running with the CD version when I started. Don't know if that is relevant or not.