NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 pm 

I am currently debating on purchasing NASLite-M2 or going the "free" route with FreeNAS. I have been able to test the latest build off freenas in a VIrtual environment. Freenas seems like a fairly solid OS. Unfortunately I Am unable to test the naslite os. From reading the board I see a lot of mixed reviews.

How does freenas comare to naslite? What I need in my nas OS is the obvious: Upnp that can stream .mkv, iTunes/daap, FTP, samba, and rsync.

What I really like with the freenas is the webgui. Everything is configured via the webgui. This is important because my nasbox will be stored away with no monitor keyboard or mouse. I see the naslite has a network status page but is everything configurable via the network status page or do you have to telnet in?

I have no problem purchasing naslite. But I want to make sure that it has all the right features I am looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:23 pm 

Mixed reviews? I would direct you to the front page of the site and the 92% recommendation rate. Those with issues are generally coming in blind and fail to research, like you are, to see if the product will meet needs.

Fact, NL is faster than freeNAS. I have tried both.

Stability wise I have been running NL for near 5 years now and the only failure I have had was due to a NIC. FreeNAS is based on BSD I think and so should be stable as well.

Admin is via Telnet and very simple. Status is via a web page and well layed out with good granularity of information.

There will be an upgrade of the kernel in the next few months and this should add capabilities fare beyond those we in the NL community now enjoy.

NL is developed by two people with a clear picture of where the product is going. There is no forking or fighting about the distro and it stays stable that way. To me stability is the most important attribute of the distro and they have delivered from the start.

To be honest, is $30.00 so much for a reliable, stable, expandable, NAS solution? Tony and Ralph my not be the most communicative at times but they are there for their users.

Mike