NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

For the samba login problem see :
http://serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2375&hilit=mac+password

OS X doesn't like anonymous samba shares.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:36 am 

NickC wrote:
With one NIC then the first is also the last. ;)

Oh ok, figured so. Just wanted to double check that that does not affect any IRQ or whatever settings.

Why thing weird you can see in the above post as to why SMB didn't work for me?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:42 am 

Ralph wrote:
For the samba login problem see :
http://serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2375&hilit=mac+password

OS X doesn't like anonymous samba shares.

Ok, let me try with a few of my streamers and see if it will work with NASlite SMB.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 am 

what's a streamer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:12 pm 

dimension wrote:
what's a streamer?

You've never done acid? (Ok, I couldn't resist [ducking thrown objects] I'm a 60's kid.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 am 

Scott wrote:
You've never done acid?

Uh, i forget. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:07 pm 

Hi All,

Looks like this is not going anywhere for me in this particular version. NASLite's SMB does not like OSX 10.5 (or the other way round), and my streamers (HDX900) does not recognize the SMB share that NASLite+ creates.

AFP & FTP works, and I have no problem connecting to the NASLite via my other mac boxes, but I needed SMB the most due to what I am doing, i.e maintaining a media server storage.

Thus, Mac users who are only using macs for similar setup as mine, would like to investigate further before plunging in. Perhaps future versions would be more compatible. I don't have any issues using SMB on the Mac via FreeNAS and UnRAID btw, for comparison sake.

In any case, I think I have done enough tests as per this thread to conclude that this software in it's current state is not working for me. I did write to the software authors (Ralph and Tony) for a courtesy refund, whom has been helpful enough in helping with the troubleshoots and suggestions as seen in this thread, but didn't get a reply back in any form. Alas, it's ok, and there wasn't any money-back guarantees anyway (or at least I didn't read any), so if they feel fit to keep the 35usd, then so be it.

It's great to see the rest like Mike and Nick helping, and it's a great forum. Do keep it up, and hope to see this software continue to develop to better heights.

Peace out.
[beenthere]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
NASLite's SMB does not like OSX 10.5

SMB works fine with Macintosh's and OS X. I posted earlier what you needed to do for the anonymous shares.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:22 pm 

Not sure what the sticking point with smb is if you can use afp, but then again not my issue. Clients of mine using macs have no problems with eather. Now on the money back thing, this is what the page says.

IMPORTANT: Your credit card order will be processed by CEE Network Services using PayPal. Shortly after your PayPal payment confirmation you will receive an email with complete download instructions. The instructions will be automatically sent to your PayPal-registered email address or the email address you provide to PayPal as part of this transaction. Please make sure that the email address you intend to use is valid and working. All software download orders are final. Thank you for your support.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 am 

dimension wrote:
Not sure what the sticking point with smb is if you can use afp, but then again not my issue. Clients of mine using macs have no problems with eather. Now on the money back thing, this is what the page says.

IMPORTANT: Your credit card order will be processed by CEE Network Services using PayPal. Shortly after your PayPal payment confirmation you will receive an email with complete download instructions. The instructions will be automatically sent to your PayPal-registered email address or the email address you provide to PayPal as part of this transaction. Please make sure that the email address you intend to use is valid and working. All software download orders are final. Thank you for your support.

Yup, no quarrel here. It's unfortunately is hard to try out something without a demo. I am not expecting it back. I am just letting other Mac users who wants to use NASLite to do what I wanted to, to be aware of these issues. That's it.

Oh, btw, modifying /etc/nsmb.conf might work for OSX users (I didn't try it), but I have no way of modifying my streaming box (http://www.hdx1080.com), thus ultimately won't work for me.

And yes, that HDX box does connect to my normal Mac shares (and also windows box, which I have since decommissioned) via SMB.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:25 pm 

The GF just got a MacBook and there was no issue with getting it to see the SMB shares on my network. I have yet to find the issues you are and I have logged into my NL with just about every modern OS from DOS 6.22 W/ Windows 3.11 on top to Vista7 as well as Mac OS9 on.

I can't imagine where the trouble is coming from for you on this one.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:18 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
The GF just got a MacBook and there was no issue with getting it to see the SMB shares on my network. I have yet to find the issues you are and I have logged into my NL with just about every modern OS from DOS 6.22 W/ Windows 3.11 on top to Vista7 as well as Mac OS9 on.

Did you modify the /etc/nsmb.conf?

I tried it on 3 machines, Mac Pro, MacMini, and Macbook Air. All running 10.5.7, connected to gigabit ethernet. MacBook Air was connecting via 802.11g airport express.

The streamer I am using is HDX900 as noted above. I have 2 of these, and both connected to same network.

All these machines and devices cannot connect to the anonymous SMB from NL M2.

It could be my PC hardware, my NL M2 setup or my macs and streamers (highly unlikely), I do not know, but basically have stopped trying. I am using another solution now that basically solves the SMB issue that I had, and so far, quite happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

All my NASLite development is done on my iMac or my Macbook pro, if you do not modify the nsmb.conf, OS X will not connect to anonymous SMB shares. Frankly, I don't see the point of using SMB with OS X since AFP is faster.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:00 pm 

Ralph wrote:
All my NASLite development is done on my iMac or my Macbook pro, if you do not modify the nsmb.conf, OS X will not connect to anonymous SMB shares. Frankly, I don't see the point of using SMB with OS X since AFP is faster.

Ralph, as I noted in the above posts. I can't connect to the NL M2 with my streamers. And this is the primary purpose of me building my media storage NAS box. I move my files from my Macs to the NAS box, and then use my streamers to consume the media. My streamers are HDX900.

If my Mac can see the NL M2 SMB share, but my streamers cannot connect to NL M2 SMB share, then I don't see a point to it. I can modify my mac .conf file, but i can't modify the streamer's smb connection (it's a hardware box). Thus, I didn't bother.

And yes, I have tried all methods possible to connect to the NL M2 from the HDX900. It keeps on asking me for password, even when the share is open.

Hope this clarifies once and for all. This is why I say it won't work for me.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:02 pm 

It looks like the HDX900 supports NFS - why not use that as the protocol for your streamer?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next