NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 pm 

After the latest iTunes update from Apple (v8.1) and after reindexing my DAAP shares, iTunes would no longer connect to my nas. The nas would appear in "SHARED", but when selected, would disappear. No error notification, no log entry in daap.log, nothing. I had to quit iTunes and start again for my nas to reappear in "SHARED". Clicking on it again made it disappear. Since I had not yet updated iTunes on Windows, I tried it and it connected and worked as before. After updating iTunes in Windows, I got the same disappearing act that iTunes 8.1 Mac had started exibiting. Downgrading to v8.0.1 of iTunes restored functionality on both OS X and Windows.

Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by Scott on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, it appears Apple changed something in their DAAP protocol. Technotes say something about denial of service attacks.

Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:27 pm 

NP, Ralph. One other thing worth mentioning: There is apparently no graceful way to downgrade iTunes to the previous version. If you try to run iTunes 8.0.1 setup with 8.1 installed, it will complain that a later version is already installed and exit. With OS X, you must drag iTunes.app to the trash and delete or move your entire iTunes folder in "~/Music" (including, it seems, any iPhone applications folder, local music, movies, etc.), reinstall the old iTunes (I found it via a google search) and restore your iTunes folder. iTunes 8.1 rewrites the database and failure to do this will get you another incompatibility complaint (this time when you first run iTunes) and iTunes 8.0.1 will refuse to run.

iTunes for Windows was a little easier, since the installer creates a restore point. Simply roll back with system restore. Time Machine may do the same for OS X, but I have, as yet, not used TM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

I just submitted Tony a patch to fix this issue, this should make it into the v1.02 update.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:34 am 

Thanks Ralph. This is good news, as I suspect when Apple pushes iPhoneOS 3.0, iTunes 8.1 will be required.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:12 pm 

Ralph wrote:
I just submitted Tony a patch to fix this issue, this should make it into the v1.02 update.

I just installed 1.02 today and can confirm that this issue is indeed fixed. iTunes v8.1 for OS X and WinXP now both log on to my NasLite DAAP share. Thanks again Ralph!