NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:20 am 

I have about 800GB of data, on UFS formatted hard drives which are in my Freenas server, I want to to move the data to my NL server. is it possible to physically move the drives to the NL server with out losing data? or do I need to transfer the data over the network?

Thanks

Hex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:08 am 

NL does EXT2 and EXT3, sorry but you will have to move it via the network or you could use a bootable CDROM with the source and target disks in it and use the likes of Ubuntu to format the new disk EXT3 and then move the data that way.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:33 am 

Thanks, I've already started the monumental task!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:06 pm 

You shall be rewarded with better speed and stability. This will come at the cost of some bells and whistles but most here feel it more than worth the little bit one gives up.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:54 pm 

I for one would certainly have stability and security for my files rather than frills.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:36 pm 

well, proof positive I made the right choice by getting NL. My FreeNAS server crashed while I was in the process of getting the my movies off, I figure i lost about 50... which I think I might be able to recover if I reinstall freenas.

It was a slow process 8Mb/sec xfer for about 20 minutes then the server would crash. I got my NL server set up on the exact hardware, I started a large xfer last night and has been xfering at 11MB/sec for over 8 hours with no problem.

freenas is a fun toy to play with, but I agree, I want my data on a solid server!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:55 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
You shall be rewarded with better speed and stability. This will come at the cost of some bells and whistles but most here feel it more than worth the little bit one gives up.

Mike

100% agree. I tried FreeNAS and it was very unstable. Under heavy load it would just spontaneously reboot.... NASLite is not as flexible but excels in reliablity and speed. I have two NASLite boxes setup and I can't remember when I last touched them, or even noticed them. Uptimes are rediculously high. :D