NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UPnP not playing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:32 pm 

I have installed the NL-M2 and placed DVD files into MEDIA. Using WinXP with Corel WINDVD9 player and Upnp as source, I can get the NL Video listings and files successfully using GENERIC ( and also XBox). However there are no entries under file length etc. The files won't play although the NL HD does startup. I have tried all the Upnp profiles without success. Anything else I can try? thanks jeffjohn

p.s. the files do play via the network with WinDVD conventionally from the NL folders.

Post subject: Re: UPnP not playing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

What format are you using to store the DVD files in the MEDIA folder?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:17 am 

Hi Tony! Thanks for your rapid response to my query.

The video file properties show " NeroShowTime.Files7.vob and .ifo files". They are produced by MagicDVDCopier MFC . The files play under Windows Media Player, WinDVD Applications. However on investigation, I find this statement: "Magic DVD Copier includes two internal burning engines. And it can also use Nero burning engine if you have Nero installed".

It would seem therefore, likely that M2 does not like the Nero format. I'll see if I can burn alternative formats and try later; I'm pretty sure this must be the problem. I'll get back at a later time - thanks again for your support and development of the NL-M2. jeffjohn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 am 

tried all formats but they are .vob and not playing through NL-M2. Is it restricted by format type ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

The GENERIC profile will export .VOB files, so provided the player can play streamed VOBs, you should be able to play those. We'll give the file you sent a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:45 am 

Is it possible to have a list of the files and properties exported by the different profiles?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

mbmobile wrote:
Is it possible to have a list of the files and properties exported by the different profiles?

Thanks

UPnP file extension list as follows:

Video files:
asf, avi, dv, divx, wmv, mjpg, mjpeg, mpeg, mpg, mpe, mp2p, vob, mp2t, m1v, m2v, m4v, m4p, mp4ps, ts, ogm, mkv, rmvb, mov, qt, hdmov

Audio files:
aac, ac3, aif, aiff, at3p, au, snd, dts, rmi, mp1, mp2, mp3, mp4, mpa, ogg, wav, pcm, lpcm, l16, wma, mka, ra, rm, ram, flac

Images files:
bmp, ico, gif, jpeg, jpg, jpe, pcd, png, pnm, ppm, qti, qtf, qtif, tif, tiff

Playlist files:
pls, m3u, asx

Subtitle files:
dks, idx, mpl, pjs, psb, scr, srt, ssa, stl, sub, tts, vsf, zeg

Various text files:
bup, ifo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:35 pm 

Thanks Tony,do this list applie to all the different profiles? Or they have differences?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Those are all the files identified and exported by the GENERIC profile. The PS2, XBOX and DLNA profiles are more restrictive and broadcast only a subset pertinent to the target platform.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:18 pm 

Just wanted to chime in on this topic.

I had an external drive connected to my xbox 360 with several video formats which all played on the xbox. The formats are: mpeg, avi's, and high definition mp4s, that ps3, xbox, and iTunes played pretty well.

When I installed the M2, with all the files above in the MEDIA folder, and exported XBOX profile, I have observed the following. Only the .avi files would play, the .mpeg and .mp4s would not. I really do not care for .mpeg files, but majority of my collection are high def .mp4s.

After doing a bit of research, well, mostly reading the M2 manual, I noticed that you guys are using http://ushare.geexbox.org/ for UPnP. They claim to only support .avi and .divx, just out of curiosity I renamed a couple of the .mp4 files to .avi and they started playing from M2.

It would be easy for me to write a quick script to rename all the files, not sure if this would change compatibily with other media devices I use for playback.

My question is if you plan to address the file extensions issue for XBOX profile.

PS. Many compliments on the M2, so far it is awesome. I tested out the XBOX part yesterday, and will keep on playing with that. Will test the iTunes part soon too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:24 am 

I have not heard from anyone concerning the apparent inability of WinDVD9 UPnP to import the NL video files .vob from MEDIA. The files show, as listed by WinDVD, "VTS_01_0 and VTS_01_1 etc etc" but with no entries under 'length' and 'bitrate' and not playable.

Can anyone else submit their experiences with Corel's WinDVD? (I have upgraded to M2 v1.01).

[WinDVD does play these files directly accessing the MEDIA files but not via NL UPnP].

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 am 

My experience of Corel WinDVD was that it did play mpeg2 and mp3 files correctly using M2 1.01 UPnP.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:46 am 

leicray - thanks. Are you able to try a DVD?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:01 pm 

Quote:
Are you able to try a DVD?

I'm afraid not. I only installed the demo version and uninstalled it once I knew that UPnP was working. You could install the demo version yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:09 pm 

looking around the web and further experimenting convinces me that my problem is not with M2 but the limited functionality of Corel WinDVD9 under UPnP. I only wanted to test M2 before investing in a media player and reading users comments I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be disappointed!